The Capstone Project
Capstone project writing gives students an opportunity to apply knowledge and research skills learned in class to address contemporary issues in society. It is paramount to note however that writing a capstone project does not necessarily require original research, but every conclusion made must be supported by facts from credible research processes.
The purpose of writing a capstone project
Capstone project writing helps in accomplishing the following:
- It helps students in sharpening their research and communication skills.
- It gives tutors an opportunity to assess students’ reading and interpreting skills.
- It helps students to appreciate researches done by other researchers.
- It improves students’ ability to select the most suitable methods of research.
- It promotes a high-level engagement in analytical researches.
Selecting a topic for capstone project writing
To select a capstone project topic effectively, you need to be widely read in your field of specialization. You must be knowledgeable on what is relevant and what is irrelevant; it is also advisable to select a topic that you are certain to deliver excellently. The following questions are suitable in helping you select the most suitable topic in capstone project writing:
- Are there available sources for the capstone project question?
- What will be the contribution of the study to your field?
- Is the topic feasible?
- How much will it cost you to complete the project?
- How suitable is the topic in relation to your level of study?
- Are there prior researches to the same problem?
- How long will it take to complete the problem?
- Do you have the expertise required to complete the project successfully?
Upon settling on a topic, it is advisable that you consult with your supervisor before proceeding with the research. The capstone project writing supervisor knows what the academic requirements are, and would advise you accordingly.