Free Essay: Challenges Facing Higher Education
Universities, colleges and institutes of technology among others all offer higher education. The demand for tertiary education has been ever since and the field has been facing a lot of critique. In fact, the supply and demand of higher education are issues that have been creating incomparable debates for many decades now. Now and then, experts in the field have been analyzing the challenges facing higher education sector in general.
To stay competitive and thrive in the global education landscape, the mandate has been left to the education agencies to find out more on the key challenges facing this sector and ways to overcome them. The past years have been demanding for the higher education sector. The current rapid transformations in the field have propelled the sector onto or towards one rock after another. Indeed, there is no prospect of relieve expected from the field due to a number of notable challenges;
- Extensive scrutiny in higher education field– there have been extensive scrutiny and attention on the higher education that has pushed the core stakeholders in the field top question the value of their degrees. Most of the university or college alumni feel that the cost education as exceeded its value and they are forced to give much back to their alma mater.
- Cost of higher education – the cost of education has been a top concern not only for parents or guardians, but also for the governments. The high cost of higher education has been as a result of reduced tax support for public learning institution and this has led to increase in fees and tuition.
- Leadership crisis in higher learning institutions– There has been debates on whether to prepare new leaders in higher education. Many leaders in the education sector are past 50 years and there us been an urge to train more leaders who are much young to succeed the older team.
- Prioritization of outcomes– Many governments have focused on the results from most of the graduates out there finding ways to make it life after college or university. In a sense, they have been looking at the employment rates and average salaries these graduates are making. Career preparation has many times outpaced academics and social environment and affordability of good education.
- Regionalization of online higher education– The number of institutions offering online degree programs have increased rapidly and the students enrolling on daily basis has doubled up. Unfortunately, most of the online degree program providers have not lived to fulfil their core mandates. Online higher education has also led to a lot of regulation and ever changing education policies.
Higher learning institutions can easily come up with great solutions for solving the many challenges facing the higher education sector. Government can lend a helping hand and involve mainstream media to emphasis on the benefits of education and how to solve these problems on a global perspective. Students and their families can always look at the quality of education in an institution before making any decision. With appropriate information, it is also much easy to make the best academic decisions.
The above sample essay on challenges facing higher education is among the many you will find at www.customwritingservice.org. Continue perusing this blog for many more essays and other academic papers in different disciplines.