The Use of Linux in the Server and Workstation Environments
Thesis: Linux, a popular operating system, has a wide range of distribution, including Ubuntu, Debian, and community enterprise operating system (centos). Centos and Ubuntu remain the main distribution of Linux on servers and workstations (Smyth, 2011).
- Define Linux distribution and why it was developed.
- Thesis: Linux operating system is a free open source software developed and distributed by various vendors. It main components are Linux Kernel. It was originally designed for personal computers, but it has since been modified to operate on servers and workstations. Linux comes in packages called Linux distribution, including Debian, Ubuntu, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Smyth, 2011).
- State when the Linux operating system was developed.
- Discuss the purpose and intentions of its development
- Argument for the software development
- It is a flexible and fast software because of its extra features and attractive interface.
- It has a variety of open-source packages like Firefox serving businesses with a set of functionality.
- It enables users to store files online.
- Argument of it formation.
- Linux software would enable computer operators to access other devices to perform specific functions
- The software would send instructions from an application to the serve, the serve sends back the results of the instructed task through the operating system.
- Linux enables people to download it and make their own version since it is an open source (Smyth, 2011).
- Argument for development of the operating system against other existing operating systems.
- Linux distribution packages by Ubuntu and centos have variety of choices but Ubuntu is limited to Debian distribution.
- Linux distribution on Ubuntu is always on the lead to upgrade by having shorter release cycles .When new software come to the market Ubuntu users get it before Centos users because it is free .
- Linux distribution on Centos provides free community supported platform that are compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is its main source.
- Red Hat Enterprise. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is not expensive as it comes with an extra option for technical support. Red Hat Enterprise Linux has low operational costs but it does not upgrade its software frequently to conform to consistency and issues of security.
- Centos lead in hosting, which means they are compatible with majority of the software. Centos have a longer support period while Ubuntu long support releases comes after every two years lasting for 5 years.
- Linux distribution on Debian offers professional 10-year support ensuring compatibility during the support period.
Argument in favor of it developing Linux operating system.
- The product is free while others like Microsoft have renewal fees.
- The software can be installed in a number of computers while others software come with license for installing on one computer.
- The Linux operating system has been in existence for a longtime. It is secure due to the new viruses that have been evolving with time. The software is not affected.
- The software enables one to customize it to a person’s liking
- It comes with hardware compatibility.
- When was Linux software developed
- What are some of the changes the products have brought since its development.
Smyth, N. (2011). Ubuntu 11. 04 Essentials. Payload Media Press.USA
Smyth, N. (2010).Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Essentials. Payload media Press.USA