Free Essay: Challenges Facing the Criminal Justice System
Criminal justice system is one of the substantial agencies and processes that are set by the government to control crime and impose penalties on those who violate set laws. It is one of the largest and far-reaching segment of judicial and legislature in many nations. In many countries, the criminal justice system is usually an independent body, but procedurally linked with police, prosecutors, courts, correctional agencies and parole boards. Besides costing government large amount of money, it is also faced by major and complex challenges.
The criminal justice system in most nations has been trying to address the significant groups that come into contact with it on daily basis. These includes the youth, women, poor, ill, aboriginal peoples, the wrongly convicted and the victims of common crimes. How the criminal justice system works in each country varies greatly and mainly depend on the jurisdiction that is in charge; state, federal, tribal government, city or military installation. Each faced defining challenges that may sound grueling, expensive and complicated to tackle. These challenges facing the criminal justice system include;
- Youth violence– the acts of youths have become a growing menace. The increased rise of youth violence can be attributed to issues such as abuse, criminal parents and abandonment.
- Drugs in most communities– It is known that the war on drug marginalizes addiction which is leads to common health problems. Experts in the justice field spur reevaluation of the prevalent ways of reducing illegal drugs.
- Violence against women– Women have been subjected to many injustices in varies parts of the world. Rape and domestic violence are common challenges facing the criminal justice system. Despite many efforts by the criminal justice system to reduce rape and related crimes, it has been a challenge as more prevalent cases are being reported on daily basis.
- Death penalty –It is been revealed that about 80% of executed criminals come from areas where murder rate is high and these cases are still prevailing. Other issues that are raised during these debates include racial disparity during execution cases and exorbitant cost of death penalty due to widespread appeals processes. However, there are individuals who still support death penalty unswervingly.
- Health and overcrowding problems in prisons– Evidently prisons are becoming overcrowded on daily basis and this has raised concerns over mental and physical health of prisoners. Many human rights and religious organization have come out clear on the issue and given their views on these challenge blaming the criminal justice system for lack of proper goals on rehabilitative incarceration. Concerns have also been raised on the cost of supporting this large population of prisoners.
- Over-criminalization – Increase in unnecessary offense is a challenge that has been overloading the criminal justice systems. Many people are being prosecuted for the wrong crimes and this has led to increased number of prisoners.
Criminal justice systems globally are known to operate independently. However, each agency involved need to operate accordingly and meet its mandates. Each has to develop the shared vision and objectives for the criminal justice system to avoid any recurring system-wide justice challenges. Government also need to ascertain, assess and made the needed improvement in the criminal justice system on the national capacity.
At www.customwritingservice.org, you will find amazing essays like this one on challenges facing the criminal justice system for your reading pleasure and also to enlighten you. If you want assistance in writing essays on any topic or academic level get in touch with us.