Free Essay: Challenges Facing Special Education
No child in the world should be deprived the right to good and quality education. There are different ways to educate our children, and special education is one of the exceptional programs. Special education is a practice of educating students with special needs as a way to addresses their individual needs and differences. Unfortunately, it has not been a smooth way to offer educational aid as there are numerous challenges facing special education globally.
Special needs vary in severity and they basically work on individuals with Down syndrome, ADHD, cystic fibrosis and autism. Special needs may also include cleft lips, palates, missing limbs and port wine birth marks among many other conditions. Special education has not been easy. There are challenges here and there to overcome. Most of the institutions or experts in the field finding it challenging because there are certain issues that they have to overcome on daily basis, and they are;
- Lack of appreciation– Many special education service providers do not get as much attention as their general education associates. Special needs teachers should be appreciated as they play great roles to help person in need to get the best education they are yearning for.
- Lack of support– Like the person in need of special education need our support; it is wise to also support and cherish special needs teachers. In some countries, these experts also get less salary than their colleagues in the educational sector.
- Face a lot of non-instructional duties– Many teachers are trained to offer special education, but many find themselves overburdened with tasks that remove them from classrooms. They are many times required to go to meetings or conduct assessments that may be challenging or outside their field of operation.
- Handling deaths in workplace– Some of the students in special needs classroom experience chronic illness that may result today unexpectedly. Handling such an issue may be a challenge for the tutor in-charge of the class. It may take time to adapt to such cases.
- Professional isolation– The nature of special education teacher differs from the traditional teachers. This may lead to professional stigmatization as these teachers have to do a lot to aid these students in need of special education. These teachers are not that many and they many times focus on skills than content and this may give a different perception to other professionals in the teaching field.
- Budget problems– Despite special education institution facing increasing enrolment, they also experience decreasing budgets. There are few teachers in this institutions and this means a lot of workload for these teachers besides getting less salary than they counterparts.
Any of the aforementioned challenges have affected the special education field and it is difficult for many professionals in the field to perform their chores comfortably. It is upon the government and humanitarian bodies to find great ways to help solve these challenges. In developed countries, special education is under reform, but it is a challenge for less developed countries to address major shortfall in this field. Society should not let these persons in need suffer in silence together with their teachers.
At www.customwritingservice.org, we have many high quality sample essays like the one above on challenges facing special education. Feel free to contact us if you need assistance in writing any kind of essay at any academic level.