Free Essay: Challenges Facing Single Parents
Family life is never easy if you are not set for the daily chores that come with having a child and many other responsibilities. Single parenthood is not an issue that many people plan for. However, if you end up being a single parent, it demands commitment and dedication. A single parent has to take care of most of the day-to-day responsibilities in raising a child or children without a spouse or partner. This is not a simple duty in life as it comes with many challenges that are tough and overwhelming to deal with.
A single parent is usually considered the primary caregiver. Many decades ago, the core cause of single parenting was death. However, these days, other notable causes of single parenthood include separation, child abuses, unplanned pregnancies, divorce of couples with children and others. The demographics of single parenthood show a general increase worldwide in children in single parent homes. It has become a norm in many countries worldwide, but there are challenges these parents face each day. This includes;
- Task overburden– Despite working in an office or in any other field, your day does not end the moment this daily duty ends. There are many other responsibilities that await you back home. These family chores vary from cooking, laundry and even helping your child or children with homework. Many single parents feel chronically fatigued all the time and this raises more problems besides having to take care of a child alone.
- Reduced time and energy for personal quests– At times, single parents feel that they do not have time for themselves. Many cannot exercise at the gym or even have dinner or night out with friends. Even if they can find a time for individuals recreations, many are tired to dedicate all the energy to these pursuits.
- Financial problems– Finance is perhaps one of the biggest challenges facing single parents. It is not easy to stay at home and still think of daily or monthly expenses. It is more off-putting if a parent is not well off. Hence, many parents are focused to work extra hard in order to cater for monetary problem in the family.
- Childcare burden– Single parents need to make sure that their youngsters are cared for aptly. Middle-years children have many options available when it comes to childcare. Parents can enroll their children into childcare center to after-school programs. Babysitters also led a hand to single parents who want to pursue other interest within a specified period of time. However, these childcare centers and organizations are not a cheap as they come up with their prices.
- Changes in children behaviors– Many times during separation, divorce or death of one parent, children may go through traumatic moments and their behaviors may change abruptly as they try to adapt to the issue. This will push the single parent to make unplanned decisions in order to help change these behaviors.
Apart from trying to fit into set schedules or balancing family chores and work, single parents need to be there whenever their children need them. The single parenthood skills one will exhibit, patience and understanding will help a cope with these challenges. These parents also need to ensure that they children do not feel isolated or ignored.
Would you like assistance in writing an essay on any topic like this one on challenges facing single parents? www.customwritingservice.org is the best place to get assistance.