|ITE Core Curriculum Threads:
A. How trainees use critical enquiry and research informed practice to develop their understanding of effective teaching and learning.
B. How classroom practice establishes effective behaviour management through the use of high expectations and awareness of pupil wellbeing.
C. How trainees’ knowledge and understanding of the curriculum, subject knowledge, pedagogy and how pupils learn impact on pupils’ progress and wellbeing.
D. How trainees plan and assess learning to ensure that all pupils make progress.
E. How trainees implement effective adaptive teaching approaches to support all learners, including SEND and EAL learners.
F. How trainees have developed professional behaviours and contribute effectively to the wider life of the school.
How are my Journal Tasks to be completed?
· Type your responses into the boxes within each task (see the tasks on the next pages). The boxes will expand when you type into them.
· Journal Tasks are not essays! In most cases, brief notes are all that is required as the response to the various parts of each task.
· As a rough guide to the nature and extent of response expected for each task, the following codes are used:
Journal Task 11 – Primary School, Early Reading and Early Numeracy
|Complete this task during term 3 / Phase 3
|This task relates to BCU ITE Core Curriculum Theme:
|C. How knowledge and understanding of the curriculum, subject knowledge, pedagogy and how pupils learn impacts on pupils’ progress and well-being.
|CCF 3 Subject and curriculum
|Teachers’ Standard 3
|Essential reading for this Task:
· EEF (2020) Improving Literacy in Key Stage 1 https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/public/files/Publications/Literacy/Literacy_KS1_Guidance_Report_2020.pdf
· Jindal-Snape, D. (2019) Chapter 3 – Classroom interactions and managing pupils, 3.4 Primary-secondary transitions. In: Capel, S., Leask, M. & Younie, S., Learning to Teach in the Secondary School, 8th Ed., Oxon: Routledge
Having read the relevant chapter in Capel, Leask and Younie, outline here (no more than 100 words) the steps taken by the school to aid its pupils’ successful move to secondary school.
|Write your Part A response here:
Read the report ‘Improving Literacy in Key Stage 1’ by the Education Endowment Foundation. Summarise the points made about early reading and include points that you were previously unaware of prior to reading this report
|Write your Part B response here:
Based on your response to the tasks above, suggest strategies that you might implement in your own subject teaching to support ‘struggling readers’; i.e. pupils with low levels of literacy and those who lack confidence in reading.
Write your Part C response here: