How to Write an Analysis of an Article
Do you know how to write an analysis of an article? Do you find it daunting to establish where to start and finalize your analysis of an article? Do not fret, as there are exceptional ways on how to write your analysis. You require certain skills to be able to analyze an article successfully. Only a few students acquire excellent analysis writing skills without being taught and practicing hard.
You should not panic when asked to write an analysis of an article. All your tutor wants is for you to break down a few things and see how it works. To get it right, you have to think about how each part of the topic of choice contributes to the success of the entire paper. Go on and tell your readers what you are talking about and do not just summarize the original article. In addition, describe how and why its elements work as anticipated. This article is designed to help you know how to write an analysis of an article.
How to Write an Analysis of an Article-what you need to Know
An analysis of an article involves breaking down an article into smaller bits to understand what it means or entails. It presents an opportunity to examine diverse standpoints in an article. Most of the papers in school or college require some kind of analysis as a part of the organizing or pre-writing procedure or as a part of the paper assignment itself.
Writers have to analyze things to determine the similarities and disparities between them, to synthesize and classify them. Looking at the smaller bits of literature will help understand how the ideas incorporated in the article fit together to create the larger meaning of the piece. To grasp how to write an analysis of an article, a few questions will help and they include;
- What occasion led to the writing of the article?
- What is the core idea of the article?
- Does the writer of the article provide ample factual information to support his or her ideas?
- Does the article present varied viewpoints? Does this article carry writer’s own ideas? Is it detailed, convincing or balanced enough?
- Is the analysis true, balanced or biased in your opinion? Expound more.
- What do you think of the article and its viewpoints? Give more details.
Depending on the article that you will choose to analyze, you will use it to answer the above questions. In addition, you will be able to apply them in diverse situations and relate with your readers. Your analysis of an article will fail to meet your readers’ needs if it does not highlight elements that make a good analysis. This includes;
- Should clearly address a certain theme picked from the article of choice. It should display an understanding of the article ideas and expand the ideas provided by the writer.
- The thesis statement should stand out. The statement will outline what you want to explore further in your analysis making it clearer for your readers.
- Should hold ample textual facts, for instance direct quotations that link back the statements which you make and interpretations. Textual facts will add to your credibility and guide readers to relate with your paper.
- Employ correct and concise grammar and writing style. The vocabulary you include in your article analysis should be picked with readers in mind. Increase credibility and enhance clarity of your argument by avoiding wordy phrases.
- Has to demonstrate that you mean what you say in the piece. Readers have to feel your opinions in the analysis paper and understand the material that you are providing.
What Makes It Hard to Write an Analysis of an Article?
Preparing and mastering how to write an analysis of an article is not all about having a pen and plain paper for the task at hand. To successfully master the art of writing analysis of an article, you have to start by pre-writing, then formulate a thesis and provide support for the article. This process is not that easy and you have to determine what will make it hard to meet the requirements of your instructor or intended readers. Here are four obstacle to writing a great analysis of an article to look at;
- Lack of motivation– Inexperienced students or writers may fail to see the reason for writing an analysis article or contemplate that the analysis will ruin the story they have in mind or anticipating to pursue. However, writing an analysis for an article can open your eyes to new things.
- Lack of confidence– Many novice writers lack self-esteem to dig deep on how certain things work. Many get stressed and anxious and this averts them from analyzing many things happening out there.
- Feeling intimidated by the idea of analyzing an article– Many feel unsure of how to identify elements of an analysis in an article or how to come up with unique facts to help support their ideas. Developing a thesis statement feels quite demanding especially when there is no writing help available.
- Failing to budget the available time– Many students struggle writing analysis as they cannot budget available time. The process of writing analysis of an article is demanding and much cannot be achieved when you do not prepare in advance.
Process for Writing an Analysis of an Article- Steps to Adhere to
The best way to overcome the above mentioned obstacles to writing an analysis of an article is by having a good writing procedure at hand. There is no shortcut to writing a good analysis of an article. You have to follow every step and make the writing process a success. If stuck, consult your tutor or professional writers out there.
Good writing is hard and it will take time to grasp how to write an analysis of an article. Fortunately, you should not panic as several steps below will help you write a good analysis of an article;
- Research and take notes
Start by reading the article of choice cautiously. To grasp more on the article, you have to take notes as you read. Go over the material a number of times and note the core points the writer of the article makes. Ascertain the kind of evidence he or she uses and the assumptions he or she makes. Make some notes on what kind of a person the article will appeal to and why he or she will find the article compelling. Form your own opinions from the article.
- Pre-writing your article
An analysis article means you will have to present certain argument or claim on what you are analyzing. Decide what to write about and brainstorm. The next step is to write a thesis statement which will summarize the argument you make and tell the reader more on what your paper is about. Find the evidence that will back your ideas. Visit your library or use online database to find out more on the issues you will highlight in the article. Then make an outline and understand how long the paper needs to be.
- Writing your analysis
Introduce your analysis paper and give your readers background data on your topic of choice from the article. Make the introduction as engaging and interesting. The other step in this section is to write your body paragraphs. Write a topic sentence, an analysis of some parts of the sentence, provide evidence that backs your text and your thesis. Know when to come up with a quote to support your claim. Sum up your analysis by reminding readers how you have supported your arguments. State how your argument affects your other claims on the text.
- Edit and finalize your analysis paper
Get rid of any grammar, punctuation and spelling flaws. An analysis paper that contains these errors will not meet its needs. Run a spell check and look for run-on sentences which will affect the quality of your piece. Read the paper aloud to easily notice these mistakes.
Samples to Guide You Know How to Write an Analysis of an Article
If you are confused and you do not know how to write an analysis of an article, samples of an analysis of an article can help in the task at hand. A good sample paper will expound on what an analysis of an article is and the structure to adhere to. Here a few samples to make use of;
The Practices of Dr. Rank, by Denise Coday
In the play A Doll House, by Henrik Ibsen, the convention of marriage is examined and questioned for its lack of honesty. Ibsen uses the minor character, Dr. Rank, to help develop the theme of conflicts within society… roanestate.edu.
Story of Robin Hood
The use of a monarchy or kingdom setting in Robin Hood allowed the author to portray the abuses of power that often occur among the wealthiest members of a community…. homepages.paradise.net
We hope the guidelines above will help you understand how to write an analysis of an article.
If you have difficulties writing an analysis of an article, get in touch with us for assistance. Visit our homepage for more information about our academic writing services. You can also continue reading more academic paper writing guidelines and sample papers on this blog.