How to Write a Thesis Statement for an Essay in High School
For many learners, understanding how to write a thesis statement for an essay in high school is a great achievement academically. Evidently, you can appeal and engage your tutors and readers of your paper with a well written and good thesis statement. You will be able to organize your thoughts in a distinctive manner and make your paper stand out. Thesis statement is the most crucial part of an essay as it informs readers more on what you are arguing about and why they should read the paper.
Regardless of the kind of essay you are to write in high school, your thesis statement is the most vital part that keeps you on track of what you are tackling. Thesis statement acts as the road map for your essay and makes it easy to follow each subject that you bring up. Thus, you should keep it centralized and argumentative and if you find it challenging, feel free to seek help know how to write a thesis statement for an essay in high school.
How to Write a Thesis Statement for an Essay in High School Excellently
Young students are taught how to write thesis statements as one sentence, but it becomes an easier process when they choose a complex topic making it easy to come up with a number of sentences. Here are some tips to help you understand how to write a thesis statement for an essay in high school;
- Every essay has to bear a thesis statement as it has to make the reader aware of many effects of topic of discussion instead of focusing on one view of the text.
- As to appear at the end of the first paragraph as this is the natural position of a statement of focus. However, some thesis can come at the opening sentence of an essay.
- You cannot start writing an essay until you have built a perfect thesis statement. However, refining the thesis statement provides a better way to think through your ideas.
- As you show what the essay is about, you have to support your ideas with tangible facts and evidences.
Essay papers follow the same general structure and their thesis statements have to state a clear topic and assert a debatable opinion. Analyzing the key features of thesis statement will make it easy to grasp how to write a thesis statement for an essay in high school. In addition, ascertaining more on these characteristics of essay thesis statements, it becomes easier to highlight common thesis errors. A good thesis statement should depict the following;
- Has to indicate specifically what they essay paper entails or about. This will make it easy to effectively prove the argument and avoid making an overly broad thesis statement.
- Has to be engaging. The thesis statement that you make should attract interest, engage intended audience and encourage them to keep reading your piece.
- Your thesis statement should be argumentative in nature. Ensure that your assertion in the paper is arguable by making factual statements.
- Has to include all of the issues that you will tackle in the essay. Do not discuss anything in the paper that is not hinted or stated in your thesis.
Common Mistakes to avoid As You Write Thesis Statement for an Essay
The thesis statement being the most crucial sentence in an essay, it has to be written in the most appropriate and professional manner. Do not rush into writing your essay because your tutor as provided instructions and guidelines to adhere to. Keep in mind the many errors that you are likely to make as you craft your essay and more so your thesis statement.
Ignoring the thesis statement can lead you to much peril besides not getting good grades. As a smart writer, you have to find better ways to use your thesis statement and strengthen your writing skills. Keep in mind a few mistakes are made by those who don’t know how to write a thesis statement for an essay in high school. They include;
- Developing an empty observation, rather than making a statement.
For example; you should not say; industrial emissions led to global warming, but say; of all the factors that contribute to global warming, industrial emissions are considered as most imperative and government should find better ways to regulate their carbon-dioxide levels.
- Coming up with a vague statement, when it needs to be specific.
For instance; do not say, the expansion of the EU has led to significant debate, but say, the enlargement of EU to add up 10 new member states has led to great debate on issues of subsidies, constitutional unity and integration.
- Making the thesis statement too wordy. You have to summarize the introduction and develop it in other paragraphs.
For example; instead of; Communication is the most vital facet of language learning, as a learner only learns how to use expressions and construct sentences correctly when they communicate and use these constructions actively. Properly write that; recent research shows that, whilst grammar should not be ignored in foreign language syllabus, it helps in developing language skills of learners than active communication.
- Other thesis statement errors are; including unrelated ideas, using phrases like “I think”, using incoherent language and many others.
Tips on How to Write a Thesis Statement for an Essay in High School
To understand the thesis statement writing process, it is wise to keep the afore-mentioned details in mind. It may seem a daunting task, but it is fun if you master the art of writing from scratch. It takes practice to be a skillful writer, but writing a good thesis statement will make your essay that much better.
A good essay as to include a well-written thesis statement and the grammar should stand out. If having difficulties making your assertions, it is wise to seek help from experts, but here are effective writing guidelines to adhere to;
- Start by gathering information– Prior to picking your topic, know something about the subject. If you are not provided with a topic, brainstorm a list of subjects and pick something that will appeal to your readers. Determine the information available to back your assertions or ideas.
- Create a topic question– The thesis statement that you come up with is the single-sentence answer to the topic question. It is the solution that you will provide to a problem the entire paper will address.
- Draft an answer to the topic question– Here, create the first draft of your thesis statement, which answers the topic question. You may make some changes as you write. Your answer to your topic question should be debatable, definite and easy to support with outstanding facts.
- Polish your thesis statement– In the course of the writing process, you will have to adjust the phrasing of your thesis statement to match the material you incorporate in your essay. Counter check whether the thesis statement makes clear the single idea of the paper and presents a position the reader can challenge. Ensure the thesis statement is complete and adheres to the common writing rules. It has to carry a declarative sentence, but not short phrase or a question.
Helpful Samples of Thesis Statement for an Essay
Turning to samples of thesis statement is one of the best ways towards acquiring good grades in high school. Well written sample essay papers will illustrate what to include or eliminate from your thesis statement. More so, a good sample of thesis statement will display and explore the core features that make a good thesis. To help you know how to write a thesis statement for an essay in high school, here are some samples you can look at;
Wrong thesis statement: Smoking should be prohibited
Correct thesis statement: There should be an outright ban on smoking in public due to the fact that secondhand smoking affects non-smokers health-wise. – tipsforresearchpapersandessays.blogspot.com
Title: China’s One-Child Policy Should Be Reversed
China’s one-child policy was envisioned to aid control population growth. Rather, I has contributed to unintended and negative consequences, that include lessening labor force, the neglect of basic human rights, an aging population and an unbalanced gender populations. To enhance china’s situation, the policy should be reversed- kibin.com.
Weak thesis statement;
Mark Twain’s Huckleberry Finn is a boundless American novel.
Strong thesis statement;
In Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain comes up with a contrast between life on the river and life on the shore. Twain suggests that to find true expressions of American democratic ideals, one must leave “civilized” society and go back to nature- writingcenter.unc.edu.
We hope that from the above guidelines you now know how to write a thesis statement for an essay in high school. However if you still find it a challenge get in touch with us for assistance. Visit our homepage for more information about our academic writing services. You can also continue reading more academic paper writing guidelines and sample papers on this blog.