How to Write a Term Paper in APA Format
Are you wondering how to write a term paper in APA format? The first thing you need to know is what APA formatting/citation style. APA (American psychological association) is a method of citation that is widely used for writing papers in areas of sociology, business, mathematics, psychology, criminal justice and nursing among other areas.
A term paper formatted in the APA style tries to show something that has already been proven to be true and it has to be cited in the past or present perfect tense. In addition, you have to feature the year of publication after any named source in the text. The APA writing style has evolved with time and has been adapted in response to the advent of technology or the electronic information age. Not knowing how to write a term paper in APA format acts as a great hindrance to inexperienced writers, and it is wise to seek writing guidance or help if stuck.
Everything to Know on How to Write a Term Paper in APA Format
APA format is a simple and widely embraced writing style in the academic field and it demonstrates how one should organize his or her paper and the references to use. If you have never been assigned an APA term paper before, you will find it a bit different from other writing styles and guidelines that are helpful in the writing process. It might take time to get used to writing in this style, but mastering how to write a term paper in APA format is a useful skill that will serve you well throughout your academics.
APA format differs in one way or another from other types of writing styles, although there are similarities here and there. Below are a few facets of the APA writing format that make it differ from other writing styles such as MLA and Chicago among others;
- An APA format is made up of four parts; the title page, abstract, main body and reference.
- APA formatted term papers use page headers at the top most part of every page incorporating the title page.
- APA differs from MLA writing style when it comes to in-text citation as MLA abides to the author-page format whilst APA follows the author-date format.
- APA writing style includes a separate page at the end of the term paper entitled “References” whilst the MLA-formatted papers include a page title known as “works cited”.
To effectively understand how to write a term paper in APA format, it is essential to keep basic guidelines that make the process a success in mind. Your paper will include many things, but the information you provide about your study will be addressed in each of the sections in diverse ways.
Basics of Writing an APA Format- What to Understand Beforehand
You cannot just rush into writing an APA term paper. Understanding what a good APA format is made up is the key to producing a great paper. As a competent writer, you have to take time and master the guidelines of formatting your paper. The entire APA format writing manual is accessible as a book, and the APA format as well makes it easy to access this information for free on websites. Hence, do not produce a below par term paper when, writing guidelines are available. What follows below are helpful pointers on the best APA formatting guidelines;
- General structure- An APA term paper should start with a title page, followed by an abstract, main body, reference, footnotes, graphics and then appendices.
- Title page- This counts as page one and it should have the title at the center, followed by your name and then your college or organization. You should choose the best title and make sure that it is not more than 12 words long.
- Running head- APA format uses a running head as the smaller version of the title of the term paper and it runs throughout the paper at top of each page. It has to be less than 50 spaces and start on the top left side of the paper.
- Abstract- Should be centered below your running head and come up with a summed up piece of about 150 to 250 words that describes the crucial points of your research and paper.
- Main body structure- This should be covered in page three of the term paper. This section should observe a few things;
- Formatted to a one-inch margin all the way round.
- The paper should be indented 5-7 spaces
- Type the details in 12 points and in common font such as Times New Roman.
- Double-space your paper
- Reference- This section generally comes immediately after the main body of your paper. Should incorporate the author’s last name and first name separated by a comma. The year of publication is put in parenthesis.
- Footnotes- They should be listed after the reference page and they commence in a new page and centered at the top.
- Graphics- Place them in new pages for each tables, figures and appendices. They should be labeled and centered at the top.
The Process of How to Write a Term Paper in APA Format
When asked to write an APA term paper, worry not as this is a paper that follows APA writing style. If having doubts, you can consult your instructor as he or she knows what a good APA format paper should entail or look like. Your classmates can also guide you in the writing process. Experts who are competent enough to offer writing services can also lend a hand and present you with useful guidelines on how to write a term paper in APA format. As you write your APA term paper, there are a few rules that you ought to abide to. They include;
- Do not put page breaks in between the introduction, method, results and discussions sections.
- The whole term paper should be written in the past tense and in best font of 12 points and in one-inch margins.
- The title page, abstract, tables and figures should be on their own pages.
If you do not hold the many essential tips of writing term papers in APA format, obtain a copy of the APA’s publication manual from the closest bookstore or local library or online. It incorporates detailed data specific for writing APA term papers. As you write in the APA format, keep in mind that Microsoft word and EasyOffice have in-built features that format footnotes, endnotes and citations in accord to APA writing style. Ensure that you know the correct order that your paper should follow from page one to the last section. Here are more guidelines to help you understand how to write a term paper in APA format;
- Start with your title page- Center the title roughly one-third of the way down the paper. Keep it about 12 words and ensure it does not carry any filler words or abbreviations.
- Insert a running head and ensure that it does not carry more than 50 characters.
- Compose your abstract and keep it between 150 to 250 words and on a new page. Include core keywords for your paper.
- Start the body of your term paper- Ensure that everything is double spaced and the paragraphs are indented on the first line. Come up with four core sections of the body of your APA format term paper. This includes;
- The introduction of APA format term paper is the toughest to write, but it should summarize, integrate and evaluate the empirical knowledge of the core areas of study.
- You have to be precise as you write the method section of your paper. Include participants, materials and procedure sections.
- In the results section, describe how you analyzed the data and what you gathered.
- In the discussion section, interpret your findings and put them in a broader context of the area of study.
- Write the references section- Present an alphabetical listing of the references. Double-space everything and ensure that there are no extra spaces between references. Indent the second line of each reference. Stick to the author-date writing style as you reference your work.
- Attach any table, notes or figures as they back your work. However ensure that they are less wordy and illustrate your research.
- Proofread and edit your work- Go over your finished term paper and take a look at; spelling and grammar, flow and clarity, punctuation and ensure that all the guidelines for writing an APA format term paper are adhered to.
Samples of an APA Format Term Paper;
Provided below are helpful links to samples of term papers written in APA format to rely on;
Sample 1; owl.english.purdue.edu.
Sample 2; explorable.com.
Sample 3; esc.edu.
Are you still unsure of how to write a term paper in APA format accurately? Get in touch with us for assistance. Visit our homepage for more information about our academic writing services. You can also continue reading more academic paper writing guidelines and sample papers on this blog.