How to Write a Non-Fiction Book
Understanding the art of how to write a non-fiction book can be daunting as it requires a lot of patience, persistence and a strong narrative voice if you want to get it right. Nonfiction writing is literature that is based on facts and many writers focus on topics that include cooking, health, fitness, business, pets, religions, art and history and much more. A non-fiction book should be based on true events and entail factual information and normally has a purpose to inform the reader.
Non-fiction writing can either be literary or informative. Literary nonfiction involves the elements of fiction such as character, plot and setting and these facets must be real and not imagined. The story you give in your literary nonfiction book should amuse and inform the readers and good examples on this category of nonfiction writing are essays, autobiographies and biographies.
Informative nonfiction plays the great purpose of explaining or informing readers on a certain situation or concept. This includes articles and interviews which provide readers with factual information. To understand these two types of non-fiction writing means you have to have to equip yourself with all the materials that teach beginners how to write a non-fiction book.
Master How to Write a Non-fiction Book with ease from these guidelines
There are great reasons as to why start writing nonfiction books. Many writers have passion and want to bring up stories that are factual and can inform readers. Majority of good writers have a good idea and contemplate how to put it into writing. Hence, whether a novice in writing field or experienced, it demands a dedicated mind to pursue this desire. Writers interested in non-fiction book writing fall into two categories. One group has a passion or interest in a certain subject and write non-fiction books as a way of sharing their passion while the other group wants to make a living out of it.
Those who know how to write a non-fiction book are able to connect to a certain audience. This is by making sure that you provide them what they really need or they have been looking for. It is wise to also do what it takes to produce a great book. For instance, a good non-fiction book writer should also be optimistic and determined not to let anything distract his or her writing project. Below are a few reasons as to why you should write non-fiction books;
- There is a ready market for your book.
Nonfiction books have been around for many years and yet the market is not full. You will come across thousands of biographies written by different people and in diverse angles and styles and readers will always be there for these books. This means that, any nonfiction book that you will write will receive a certain level of readership.
- They raise the acquisition of vocabulary
Many nonfiction books feature certain specialized words and more so technical or scientific words and you can add these words to your vocabulary list. This will make it easy for them to write well since they have read exceptional literature.
- Spurs creativity and imagination
Non-fiction books usually teach via photographs and are quite descriptive and imaginative. Readers can get an idea of different things that take place on daily basis and analyze them in unique and imaginative ways. Reading nonfiction books will broaden readers’ informational base and stimulate their minds.
- They introduce vital book concepts
Nonfiction books provide an opportunity for readers to know more about how books can be well written and structured as they will come across diverse concepts. This includes introductions, summaries, and table of contents, glossary, technical vocabularies and many other features that make non-fiction books. Nonfiction books also make it easy to describe the relation between illustration and text.
Features of Non-Fiction Books to Explore
The biggest advantage of writing a non-fiction book is that whenever you experience any difficulties, you can take time and do more research and dig deep into the facts that support your topic ideas. One important thing to consider as you equip yourself with these guidelines on how to write a non-fiction book is that there are notable features of nonfiction books or related work. Essentially, nonfiction work must include real places, people and events and the accounts given in these books must be true. Here are some notable features of nonfiction books to look at;
- Table of contents– It is found in the first few pages of the non-fiction book. It tells the reader of the order by page number in which information is found in the book or how the book is organized.
- Headings– They guide the reader through the nonfiction book by specifying certain sections to be read. They appear in bold or in a different color from the rest of content guiding the reader to the section they are in.
- Captions– Are found above, below or beside a photography or graphic image. Captions help readers understand what they are looking at in a presented picture.
- Charts, diagrams and graphs– An image found in a nonfiction book expounds details in depth. The image presented will add content to the book.
- Glossary– It is a section that provides definition to difficult words used in the book. It is found in the back of the of a non-fiction book and quite helpful to readers who want to include new vocabularies in their writing.
- Index– It is the section in a nonfiction book that details which page certain information in the book may be found. It is organized in an alphabetical order to provide a great first point of looking.
Take note of the following helpful tips on how to write as non-fiction book
Writing nonfiction books can be an easy process if you understand the entire writing process or hold helpful tips in your fingertips. However if stuck, there is always writing help or services around the corner. For your non-fiction book to succeed, here are some important guidelines on how to write a non-fiction book to consider;
- Choose the best topic– Picking the best topic for your non-fiction book is the first thing to do. You have to take time and pay much attention on the topic of choice. Credibility of the topic is an issue you cannot run away from. It should be a topic that your readers can tell more about in 50 words or less in the shortest time possible. You have to hone your topic and into the best angle and ensure you write on issues that you have qualifications or distinctive experience in.
- Create an excellent content plan– You need to have a plan for your nonfiction book. A good plan helps you not to make diversions, but write as required and in a straight line. Brainstorm your ideas and organize them in the best structure. The more detailed you make this plan, the more easy it will be to write your nonfiction book.
- Determine the necessary research for your book– Good nonfiction book may take months to write and a lot of research. You need to use the internet for research or visit libraries to gather enough material on the topic of choice. You can find persons who can share personal accounts on the events you choose to write about. Look over your content plan and take all the research items that you listed and put them in a to-do list. List the books, articles and sites that you need to find.
- Analyze your research– Go through the notes you have gathered and determine the angle your topic will follow. It is wise to create a writing schedule that will help you figure out how long you will take to draft your nonfiction book.
- Start writing your draft– Here you have to shun the use of passive voice as it will make your writing dull. Use your grammar check tool and eradicate all the “is” “was” “seems” and “appears” in the manuscript. Engage readers by showing them certain scenes or processes instead of narrating directly to them.
- Revise, proofread and edit your manuscript– Reach friends and fellow writers who can read out loud the entire manuscript. Find experts to proofread your book and keep the book flawless. Check transition between paragraphs and look for any overused words or adverbs and ensure the sentences do not feel redundant.
Additional advice on how to write a non-fiction book
Reading other peoples non-fiction books is a good way to gain more knowledge on how to write a non-fiction book. There are many non-fiction books written by widely acknowledged writers that you can read to equip yourself with such tips. Below are a few of them;
- I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou- sparknotes.com.
Find the above two examples of nonfiction books and many more at theguardian.com.
Would you like assistance in writing academic papers like essays, term papers, research papers, dissertations among other academic papers? We offer the best academic writing services online. In addition to that we also offer dissertation editing and writing services at very affordable rates. If you are interested in any our services get in touch with us here or visit our homepage to see what other services we offer and how we can assist you. You may also want to continue reading more guidelines on writing different academic papers or other non-related material. To do so, continue looking in this blog where you will also find academic sample papers under different disciplines.