How to fix 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10
Is your computer slow and you have tried to fix it without success? This could be because some processes/operations behind the background are using so much space on your disk. These operations tend to use even 100% of the disk which slows down your machine. Even if it’s somewhere at 50% or more it’s still too high because your computer is still not fast enough. Having experienced it I know it’s quite some pain on the neck and frustrating and at the same time irritating. This however should not be the case. In this article I will show you how to fix 100% disk usage on windows 10 problem once and for all.
Guidelines on how to fix 100% disk usage on windows 10 problem once and for all
Generally there are two ways that might work depending on your machine but I recommend you try both or try one at a time and see which one works for you. However there is one that seems to work in most cases when the first option doesn’t work because in some computers the first option that I will share might not work.
Method 1- How to fix 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10
Disabling “windows search” and “supefetch”
- Open the task manager
This is the quickest way to open the task manager in case you are not computer savvy- Right click on the windows button at the left of task bar and from the pop-up that appears you will find task manager among the options. It’s located below the “command prompt admin” and above “control panel”. Click on it.
i. After opening the task manager click on services which is on the extreme right
ii. From the resulting list of services scroll down until you find a service called “superfetch” without the quotation marks.
iii. Right click on it and you will see some options there starting with “start”, “stop”, “restart” etc. (if it’s already running the start button will be disabled but the rest of the options will be active). Click stop to disable the service.
iv. After disabling this service you then look for another service called “windows search”
v. Repeat the same process of disabling it as explained above.
vi. After following the process above close the task manager and open again to see if the disk usage has gone down. In some cases this helps reduce the disk usage. To make sure it if has worked or not you can restart your machine.
In some other cases this method doesn’t work which brings me to the second method.
Method 2- How to fix 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10
Disabling windows notifications
- To do this, click on windows button and go to settings. After clicking on “settings” you will find a menu with various options like “system”, “devices” all the way to “update and security”.
- Click on “system”
- From the resulting window choose notifications and actions.
Here you will find several options for either actions or notifications. At the very top you have quick actions where you are prompted to “choose your quick actions”. These include: “tablet mode”(with a pointing finger in a rectangle icon), “connect”, “note” and “all settings”(gear icon). In this case we are not interested in those so skip them and scroll to notifications.
Under notifications you will find various options with action buttons for either turning them on or off. In most cases these buttons are on.
The first one is “show me tips about windows” followed by “show app notifications”, then “show notifications on the lock screen”, then “show alarms reminders and incoming VOIP calls on the lock screen” and the last one is “hide notifications while presenting”.
- Here you should disable all by dragging the black dot to the left on each option. However please note you can leave any that you think is very important if left turned on. For example if you use your machine for presentations you might consider leaving on the last option. You don’t want a notification to pop up in the middle of an important presentation. You can also decide to leave the app notifications on. But in my case I put all of them off.
- After doing this you can now open the task manager and see the reduced disk usage to somewhere between 0%-20%.
- Finally restart your machine and confirm the lowered disk usage as you enjoy higher speeds with a cup of coffee and doughnut.
I hope you found this article on How to fix 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10 helpful. I took my time to try to explain the process in a simple and practical way that even someone without much knowledge about computers can do it. I bet even your grandma can do this on her own and feel proud about her computer ‘savvyness’. Thank you for taking your time to visit and read.